Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Writing...

...is something I always liked to do because I enjoyed seeing words appear flowing out from ink into thoughts.

   A lot of people will tell you what you need to have and how to proceed.  As for me, I don't have the discipline to preset time and force things out.  Instead I make notes on things I think about when I can't write. Then, when I get back to where I can write, I sort through the notes to what I think has merit, meaning and relevance... and to what I will enjoy opining over. 

I write what I want to say.  If you can speak a complete thought and you know how to put a thought on paper you have everything you need.

I do edit myself because I don't want to cause unnecessary hurt.  I try to be careful and sensitive.  I also am as honest as I can be.  I suppose if I wanted to be all-out brutally honest, and not have to stop to consider tact, I would have to start a different blog under a different identity and not tell anyone about it.

The truth is that to write I need readers. I need to know that I have readers, that I'm not casting my thoughts out to the empty air.

The fear that stops people is that our thoughts are wrong, bad, not good enough and will be met with disapproval or worse.  The truth is that you are not a freak.  Everyone is the same inside.  You have the same wants, needs, hopes and fears as the person who you think is the least like you.

Writer's block is only a lack of material in your brain.  If you face a blank page and can't put anything on it, get your ass up and go learn something new somewhere.  Take a walk.  Go for a drive.  Have sex.  Do something else.  Take a shower.  Mow the lawn.  Get the blood into your brain.

There's only one way to do it.  Write it -- and then get it read.

No comments: