Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Let's get us a conflagration!

And in the great state of Alabama, they are clearing school libraries of books by gay authors or with gay characters.

Book burning is next.  Then whoever they don't like, to camps.

I don't have to tell you that many great authors are, or were, homosexual or bisexual.  Next let's take the Mona Lisa out and burn it.  Well, Michelangelo was gay, after all.

You may not want your child exposed to ideas that you disapprove of.  There's nothing wrong with trying to protect them, however the real world will get them, sooner or later, and the better acquainted with reality they are, the better off they will be.

Speaking as a homosexual, I have to say that I did not choose to be gay.  It was a feeling that was inside of me from an early age.  I knew I was different but as a sheltered child, I had no idea what was "wrong."

My parents were God-fearing Christians with sincere values of faith and patriotism.  My mother served her community and country in many ways and my father served for 20 years in the U.S. Army.

My mother was a Southern Baptist.  My father is an Episcopalian.  They didn't do anything to make me gay.  No one ever molested me.

I wanted to like boys when I was a kid.  But even more so, I wanted to be like a boy because boys got the girls.  I thought this was just tom-boyishness.  I envisioned life as a wife and mother, but inside me...  something else was calling to me.

And now so many of the women I meet are women who were married, who actually have children, who came out late in life because they tried to be what they were not.

The people who have instituted censorship (still un-Constitutional last I heard) have a deeper problem.  What are they afraid of?

I never read anything that made me gay.  But I did read things that helped me realize I was gay.  And no one I know of has ever become gay because they read "Walden" or "The Selfish Giant."

I didn't become heterosexual from reading the Bible or "McGuffey's Reader" or "The Old Man and the Sea," either.

As a matter of fact, reading "Intercourse" by Andrea Dworkin gave me more sympathy for men than I had ever known... far from turning me against them!

I am sure that the people who are doing this think they are doing what is right and necessary, but it isn't going to change anything.  If their children are gay, they're gay.  If they're straight, they're straight.  What they read won't change the fact of their orientation.

What's bad is that this is the behavior that leads to more destruction.  It's not right to deny knowledge.  And truthfully, when you ban books (aka thought), or protest movies, you only draw more attention to them.

It is wrong to stand silently by and let these things happen.  We are guilty through the complicity of our silence if we do nothing.   It's an easy step from loathing gays to hating people with freckles or people with dark skin or people who are poor....

Don't you wonder what it is the anti-gay agenda is really about?  What are they afraid of, really?

2506

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps they are afraid that  we will have an overabundance of interior decorators and high school PE teachers. That could potentially skew the job market.
Hmmmm, that reminds me, I had this one PE teacher, my sophomore year that I would have loved to . . .uh, (clearing throat) sorry I digress.

It's like I have said before - whenever some MENSA giant has made the statement that homosexuality is a choice, I have to ask this - Have you ever dealt with a woman who is more than slightly angry? Perhaps even, irate? Do you honestly think that anyone in their right mind would CHOOSE to deal with that? Have you lost your frigging mind? I don't know how the majpority feels, but having dealt with a number of highly agitated women(albeit, usually do to some behavior of my own - but that's not the point) I can honestly I would  rather take a stick and poke and angry bear. Twice.

Sheri

Anonymous said...

this is unbelievable... we are going backward in time. judi

Anonymous said...

Well, it is Alabama.  Not ever really been the most forward thinking state...

Anonymous said...

ever read Farenhiet 451 by Ray Bradbury?