Saturday, April 9, 2005

criticism

My friend YK suggested today that I write critiques for Amazon as a way of finding entry into the world of paid writers.  Write movie reviews, she suggested.  I asked her... but who the heck am I?  She responded, oh, you can make your way to being somebody. (I don't really want to be "somebody,"  but I would lke to be able to afford a less crude lifestyle.)

The conversation was spawned because we often discuss movies in the backroom at the library.  We all place holds on movies that the library adds to the collection.  Patrons know I have a vast repertoire of movie knowledge and seek me out when they want comedy, musicals....

I cannot, however, see reviewing movies.  I so often disagree with reviewers.  Sometimes you'd think they are dissing a thing just to make you want it more.

I have found that I am a lot happier when I start watching a movie with no expectations.  That way, even if it's a stinker, I'm not disappointed.  I also don't go to movies unless it is some sort of social occasion.  I can live without seeing the first run of things.  I don't have to be up on what everyone else is talking about.

I do occasionally cruise by the rental place, to see if I can find some gem on the sale rack.

Here's some movies I have gone out of my way to own:

Wrestling Ernest Hemingway (a real treat starring Richard Harris, Robert Duvall, Shirley Maclaine and Sandra Bullock)

Whale Rider

Son of Paleface

Fried Green Tomatoes (extended version)

The Quiet Man (arguably the best movie ever made)

High Noon (dum-da-da-dum-da-da-dum-da-da-da....)

The Princess Bride

The Sandlot (another really great movie)

Movies I would own if I had unlimited resources and storage space:

Unconditional Love (so quirky you can't help but love it)

The Secret of Roan Inish ("It's Jimmy!")

Movies I am guilty of also owning:

All three "Back to the Future" installments

Bound

Candleshoe (Disney flick and the first movie I ever wanted to see twice)

Boys Don't Cry

The North Avenue Irregulars (an even more obscure Disney flick than Candleshoe)

Gia

The Mummy and The Mummy Returns

The boxed set of "Bean" (-- Rowan Atkinson helped me through some harsh times)

Some Like It Hot (a movie you ought at see at least once)

Braveheart

Il Postino

Feds

The Witches

Andre

Life is Beautiful

If These Walls Could Talk II

Doc Hollywood

Tommy Boy

Amelie

So I Married an Axe Murderer

As you can see, I don't go for violence too much.  I love to laugh.  If I wanted car chases and shootings, betrayal and theft, I'd pay attention to the news.

And though I think Kevin Costner is the same in every movie, I confess to having enjoyed Robin Hood, Dances with Wolves, Field of Dreams and, yes... Waterworld.

I also enjoyed Meet Joe Black.  Ol' Brad is delightfully disarming in this one.  I love the scene where he's eating peanut butter off a spoon. 

Care to share your faves and bombs?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: