Friday, April 22, 2005

No shush

They have changed the way we do business in the library.  We are not supposed to ask people to speak more quietly, to take their cell phone conversations outside or to leave their drink outside the library.

Yep.  There's more.  They're thinking of giving out coffee in the library.

If Nancy Pearl, the model for the shushing librarian action figure was dead, she'd be spinning in her grave.

I like the main library in Fort Pierce.  There was, the last time I was there, a sign right on the door banning cell phones.

Oh... and we aren't to say anything to children behaving badly if their parents are anywhere in the building.  Climbing the alarm gates, running in circles around teetery oldsters, screaming at the top of their lungs.

Ironically, I have had mothers ask me to tell their kids to behave. 

What's next?

Hopefully, I will be working somewhere else and won't be privy to that information.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How sad that you can no longer remind people that someone might be reading, and want quiet!  I walked into out little public library the other day, and a neighbor of mine was juggling a screaming toddler, and trying to gather books to check out, I could tell she was embarrased, and other patrons were giving her "the look" so I took the baby, and went on a treasure hunt with her until her mom was done. (Don't do this with a stranger, unless you want them to call the cops!)
We still have a nicely quiet library, no food, no rowdiness allowed.  Just wish it had more books!