Friday, April 22, 2005

I wish...

I wish I was funny in a stand-up comedy kind of way. I make my friends laugh, but it's due to stray, unexpected comments, not to a string of witticisms.

And my family often is oblivious to the things that make my friends laugh. 

I would have to collect a lot of oddball thoughts, string them together, test them before my family (a tougher audience) and weed before I ever thought about standing on stage.

Or... I could watch the news make a list of topics and address each one.

I wish I had the mind of Gabriel Iglesias and the timing of Ellen Degeneres. And do you remember that subliminal woman comedian?  I wish I could remember her name, she was a rip.

I want the warmth of Red Skelton, the smoothness of Marcel Marceau, the slapstick of Lucille Ball, the grace of Judy Garland, the presence of Danny Kaye, the speed of Robin Williams, the observances of George Carlin, the sass of Sophie Tucker, the baudiness of Margaret Cho... and I would like it all to LAST.

I know someone who's hysterical.  One of C's best friends, *L*.  When I took M to the Friday night get-together at C's she practically fell in love with *L* because she kept everyone laughing.  When she makes us laugh, it's not just a quick brain chuckle like I produce, but one of those full-body blast laughs.  She's a riot. 

I'd settle for being her because I love comedians who make you laugh and laugh and laugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did I  ever tell you   I  sucked it up  and did that open mike  night at that comedy club a few weeks ago?
 Straight people laugh at anything that just hints at gay/lesbian.  but remind me to tell you  about my Titanic bit   lol

Anonymous said...

Well you made me laugh and I am a total stranger! lol (Thanks for visiting my journal via editors picks) and sorry unable to adopt you at this point, stressed out women on the cusp of the change (Im hoping) is not a good role model at this point! lol lol lol I'm hoping that at least my straight jacket has a designer label! Oh and and I want it in pink! its fast becoming my new favorite color!