Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Not for nothing

Inspired, but also having thought about it often, I made an appointment for an STD test.  You can do this at your doctor's, which may be more comfortable, or at your health department.

I don't have any reason to think that I have been exposed to any of the number of diseases out there, and I want to be able to share this information... not just my thinking that I am clean, but actual evidence of it, with the next person who comes along.

There's no shame or reason to be embarrassed by this.  You are smart, savvy and caring to want to do this for yourself and for other people.

I am not going to hesitate to tell whoever serves me that I am a lesbian.  They won't need to know who I have been with unless I have a positive diagnosis. 

I checked into a South Florida health department website.  It said the test costs $30 and you'll spend about an hour at the office.  I haven't yet asked what it will cost at my doctor's office.  I know that it usually costs me $ 40 to $70 just to sit in the air-conditioning waiting to see him.

Trust that your health professionals serve all people and are understanding to homosexuals.  There are many gay and bi-sexual people in health services as it is.

I encouraged one recent ex to confide in her doctor.  Not only did she come back feeling rather liberated, but he gave her some savvy advice in regards to communicating with me about what ailed her.

My test isn't for a week or two yet.  If you have any reason to test, do it.

I will try to remember to write about the experience so that you can see that it's not a big deal and maybe gather the courage to get tested if you find yourself lacking.

$30 is a very small price to pay for peace on one hand, and the ability to make informed decisions and protect people you care about on the other.

J

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

amen to that.... coming out of the old relationship and feeling sure that there had been cheating, I was completely tested (as was Virginia) so that we could give each other the gift of knowing for sure that we are safe.
The good test results were a load off my mind, and Whitman Walker Clinic took very good care of me with great kindness.
Good for you!
judi