Monday, May 9, 2005

teabags and fortune cookies

Years ago, visiting Cambridge, Massachusetts, I saw a quote: "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."  It apparently was from the tag on a teabag, undoubtedly from Salada, which is known for the quotes on it's tags.  The company had corporate offices in Boston, and very impressive iron doors that depicted the harvest of tea, including elephants carrying boxes.

Anyway, the quote became one of my favorites and only added to an old obsession with blurbs of wisdom. 

C. has some fortunes from cookies on her memoboard at the animal hospital.  They are there because I added a comment to the fortunes, something smart-alecky to each.  I enjoy a good fortune.  It's fun to contemplate the ramifications of the fortune.  Sometimes the fortunes are fun.  Sometimes they are dull.  The good ones make you consider them for a moment.

In the links to this journal is something called "Sari's Cookies."  A teacher at Unity College in Maine has collected over a thousand bits of wisdom on her site.  Check it out.

What's your favorite fortune, favorite quote?

2835

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you have chocolate all over your hands, your eating too slowly.

when I was a teenager I gathered quotes and bits of wisdom, at one time I had a stack of typewritten bits 2 inches thick!  lost them somewhere in my many moves.

Anonymous said...

If you believe in forever then life is just a one night stand.