Tuesday, May 10, 2005

reversi and rye toast

Yes, yes, again with the reversi philosphy.

If you're new here, just scroll back and you'll see that reversi (aka Othello) is an on-going topic.

I have been playing the game for more than 10 years, but only regularly online since January. 

I still play against "beginners" because I still get beat by "beginners."  I am still observing strategies.  It's amusing that there are so many ways to gain advantage.  Sometimes the winner practically covers the board.  Now and then the winner finishes the game long before the board is covered.  Odd patterns of black and white occur in the playing.

I'm no mathematician so I can't discuss the formulaic equations that explain the game. I only know that you have to outflank your opponent and try to cover the sides and corners before your rival does.

You can't really tell where the turning point is in this game because things change so quickly.

I have won games without having many pieces on the edges.  And I have had games where I won leaving 5 or fewer pieces of the opponent's color showing.

Tonight I'm not doing well.  It's times like these that keep you in the beginner's ranks.  The truth is that most of the intermediate players don't do much better.

I figured out some useful strategics early on but I still have things to learn.  On an Othello box, it says "A minute to learn, a lifetime to master."  It's true.  Reversi is Checkers and Chess and military tactics all in one.

I still wonder about who the other players are and wish I could talk to them beyond the phrases provided by the game, things like ":-), Hello, nice move and Sorry, I have to go now."  I am grateful that they also have It's your turn and Are you still there?

The game has lessons to teach if you can only draw the inferences.  More later, I'm sure.

(breakfast for dinner tonight, thus, the toast)

No comments: