Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Highway of Saints

I left work today and went home to feed my cat and pick up some books in French that I got for my little sister, then got back onto US 1 to go to Dad's.

About 4 miles up the road, I notice traffic is going slow and I scan to see what's going on and I see my friend/co-worker from the library, waving traffic to the left and beyond her a woman sitting on the shoulder of the road. 

An SUV had plowed into the rear of a sedan.  The sedans rear end ended in the back seat.  It was definitely DAMAGE!

This is Carol.  She is the library's "Homework Helper."  She is a Montessori teacher, a mother of two.  She and her husband are very community-minded.  She is my kind of person.  She is smart and so full of thought that I christened her "Segues Without Warning" because her mind always seems to churn on three tracks at once.  I truly love her.

I drove on with a nod to her. It was covered.  There would be nothing for me to do. I saw the sheriff and fire truck coming up in my rear view mirror.  It made perfect sense to me that she would be there, she would be the one out of a hundred who would stop, give aid, give witness, give herself.

She is what "good" is.  All day long.

No comments: