Sunday, May 29, 2005

ibid.

4:37 a.m.

So I thought the doctor and her family would sleep in today. England is five hours ahead of us. I waited until 9 and they had already been gone quite a while. Knickers! I wish I'd asked the doctor to call when she got up. It's not like I could sleep, anyway. The dog is okay. It's the dog-sitter who needs reassurance.

I checked him at midnight and he actually did look better. The inflammation is lessening. I could actually see both of his eyes. To me, that was a good sign. I elected not to give him a second dose of medicine because he was showing improvement. Now I'm wondering if I should have. The thing is that he as so lethargic after the first round that it worried me what another dose would do.

It turned out the muzzle was completely unnecessary. He stood patiently for the first shot while I searched through his fur to find some skin! (lol) Almost immediately, he retreated under a dining room table and I crawled onto the cold tile and under the table to give him the second injection.

Now that I'm sure he's going to be okay, I just want to know if he needs the second shot. In a case where recovery is imminent, it's better to err on the side of caution. The dogs own natural defenses will probably do the job eventually. Let's give some credit to the wonder of our design....

9:07 a.m.

I called the doctor around ... 7 a.m. our time, I think. Message: The dog is fine but please call home. I am thinking I will call back and amend the message to "The dog is okay and the house-sitter is going to pull through, too. No need to call. Have a lovely evening." I don't want to trouble her. She's having enough... travelling with her family. I travel well. I know that if someone is paying, I just go along and don't kvetch.

The last time I was taken along to Europe, I got to take time on my own. I went to Portobello Road. I'd love to go back there sometime when I can spend the day. It's everything they say it is in the song from "Bedknobs and Broomsticks."

Portobello Road,

Portobello Road,

place where the wonders of ages are stowed,

anything and everything a chap can unload

is sold off the barrow on the Portobello Road....

There are so many wondrous things to see in a place like London. I'd love to go back sometime, go to the museums. I castled out the first time we went. The second time I went was to chaperone my step-sister back to the US from a school trip so our folks could visit Normandy alone. The third time was the Christmas after the kids' father died. But I did FINALLY get to go to the Musee d'Orsay. Saw Whistler's Mother and Olympia. I was content. The Louvre is just across a bridge, walking distance from the "Musee" but honestly, I have no desire to ogle Mona Lisa. If I had the time to see everything else, I'd go. Maybe, someday....

My step-sister has been to Europe now... is it five times? And she is going back again this year. It's a rough life.

 

 

 

 

No comments: