Thursday, May 26, 2005

From the doctor’s house #1:

So here I am, in a strange bed (that’s bloody hard).  Just outside the door, there is the heavy breathing of two German Shepherds and a fluffy cat.

 

Fortunately, this house is not alien to me.  I used to clean it for the bargain price of  $10 an hour.  I was doing the doctor a favor.  It was a very long favor.  I finally burnt out on it.  I started going instead to help my step-mother.  It wasn’t long before I wore out there, too.

 

Now I’m in the large master bedroom.  There is a skylight and the rain is beating upon it.  My humble (but steadfast) trailer is quieter in the rain.

 

There are three sets of sliding glass doors to this room.  All have the curtains drawn back to show the yard, which is fenced in, though it wasn’t when I cleaned here.  I’ve probably gained 20 pounds since I stopped cleaning and stepped away from regular duties at the animal hospital.

 

You’d think that working at an animal hospital would be pleasant and fun, but in reality, it’s very hard work… if you’re doing it right.  For years I have told myself I might as well resign once and for all.  Then I go to the kennel on a Saturday night and see the dogs and cats (and occasional other animals) and I am enamored all over again.  Sucked back into the vortex!

 

I’ve given myself an extra half-hour of wake-up time (30 minutes less sleep) to adjust for caring for the dogs, bathing, eating and running over to see my cat in the morning.

 

I will bring her over tomorrow night and set her up in this room.  Private digs.  Big time!

I just hope the other critters can keep themselves in check.  The dogs are good and the cat is very cool, but my cat is all I’ve got.

 

I bet, however, that Melissa or Cristy will be all too glad to hook me up with a homeless cat if anything does happen…. 

 

After all, employee discounts and vet services at cost are a good way to keep people around….  If I have no pet, there’s no hook!

 

In other news, Lisa is as happy as a clam with the hottie she met in the bar last Saturday.  All I can say is “God damn!”

No comments: