Saturday, May 7, 2005

υπερήφανος για να είναι λεσβία

Today my father came to take me to the radiator shop to pick up my car.  We tooled out onto the highway and there was a program on NPR (National Public Radio) about the Christian right battling against gay marriage.  It was an interesting show and I was interested in it.  My father reached over and turned it off.  He was frustrated.  He didn't want to hear about it.  "Those people (the imperious, self-righteous, so-called Christian right) are so stupid," he said.  

Your perspective changes when your child is gay.  He's concerned about me being happy and not being alone.  (The details of how this might be accomplished are another story.)

I could have asked to hear the story but instead I was listening to what my father wasn't saying, which was "I want you to be happy.  I don't want the world to be against you."

I am not concerned with the fight.  I give money each month to a powerful pro-gay organization, We may not have equal protection under law in my lifetime. I think people are doing the best they can to do what they feel is right.  I respect other people's right to think I'm going to burn in Hell for all eternity.  It bothers my Dad, though, that they aren't working for something more "Christian," like comforting the sick....

And my step-mother is so fired up about the Democratic Women's Club, she decided that I am going to be her liason to the gay crowd.  She never asked, she just volunteered me.  When I told her I had neither the desire nor the energy for what she wants, she just said, "Yes, you do!  Doing this will energize you!  Come on!  We're going to change the world!"

Did I ever tell you that she's an old hippy?  She marched with Tom Hayden at the Chicago protests and dance naked in the rain at Woodstock.  She has never confessed to the nakedness, but she has implied it.

And then tonight I was at Cristy's and she was watching the Penn & Teller's "Bullshit."  It was all about what a traditional family is.  They said that there are more non-traditional families than there are traditional.  That's believable.  They had a lesbian couple with kids, a married couple with kids and the two parents both have a lover inluded in the family, then they had some young guy who was arguing that the nuclear unit of man and woman is essential to society and then they hada man who claimed he could make gay men straight.

I would love to hear about people who left homosexuality and truly became heterosexual.

Sometimes I wish I could change because I am lonely!  But you should see the men who hit on me in the library.  No thanks. 

http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr (translation engine - though the title doesn't retranslate clearly.)

2774-6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

<i>I would love to hear about people who left homosexuality and truly became heterosexual.</i>

Crazy concept lost admist gay people being gay vs gay people being "turned" straight debate: what about the idea of simply being involved at all?