Sunday, May 15, 2005

here's one for the cat

My little companion leans warm against me.  She was at first chagrined when she realized that the new bed was much smaller.  She doesn't have her own side anymore.  Still she christened our new resting place my dropping a lizard on my leg Friday night.

I tolerated her when C bullied me into taking her but now I can't decide which of her virtues I wish to extol and what it is I love best about her. 

Primarily, I think it is her very presence that helps me.  Rita Mae Brown suggested that all writer's should have cats because cats remind us about what's important.

Well, cats keep you from desolate loneliness while also offering the added feature of not needing to be walked.

Cats come and sit in the middle of what you are doing to remind you that whatever you're doing is not the only thing in the world.

Animals have virtues.  They want to be fed and loved.  I don't want anything much different from anyone who takes me on. 

You can't blame them for their behaviors because they act on instinct and learned behavior.  I always thought that it would be great to be as good of a person as my pets are.  It's something to strive for.  Let's explore it.

Pets:

* are happy to see you when you get home, unless you've not been kind

* let you know what they want if you listen right

* are happy to be fed, petted and played with

* come when you call (when they want to)

* don't care if you smell bad, are overweight or have a bad hairdo and yellow teeth -- you turn on the indoor sun and make food and water appear!  You're a god!

* warn you of strange things in the yard and in some cases will be ready to defend you

* gently attend you like guardian spirits

* are a continuous source of laughter

* give you something to love and care about

want to add to this list?  Do feel free!

 

2995 (How cool is that?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

here's a medical comment, studies show people with pets live longer, and overall have lower blood pressure than those without.  The facility I work at has cats, dogs, rabbits, fish, birds and horses and therapy animals, it's great!