Wednesday, May 25, 2005

bleep and glue

At the library, working with that difficult woman, I often think of the truth of the old "I'm rubber, you're glue.  Whatever you say bounces off me and sticks on you" taunt.

I'm watching the film "What the bleep do we know?"  It's several scientists discussing quantum physics, punctuated by a string of illustrative vignettes starring Marlee Matlin.

The old taunt has truth because a trace of what you say reflects back on you when you say it.  If you say negative things about someone, a trace of what you say sticks in the head of the person you say it to.  They may then  see you with that negative aspect.

It makes sense when you see the portion of the film where words changed the physical structure of water.  What are we after all, if not water?

I'm thinking that perhaps as I struggle to loathe that co-worker less, I loathe myself less.

I had a friend in college, Ivan, who insisted that we are all the same.  It is and isn't true.  Billions and billions of things color our worlds.  Our individual perception and choices make us who we are constantly becoming.

I remember when I was a little kid, my cousin Jenny noticed that my stomach expanded as I breathed.  She told me I was breathing wrong, that your chest was supposed to fill.  Well, it turns out that she was wrong, but the damage was done... because I wanted to belong.  I didn't want to be a freak.

More than 30 years later, I can liken it to sitting in the bar Saturday night, watching people dance... not getting up and dancing myself.

If I dance in my living room its because its fun and I want the exercise, I want to feel and express the music.  If I step onto the dance floor, I'm on display.  It's not fun anymore.

The irony is... if I sit it out I'm perceived as a stick in the mud, if I dance then I'm judged for that.  It's inspiration enough to stay out of bars.

But I read “Tuesdays with Morrie.”  And I was thinking… maybe I should....  After all… we gotta die, we might as well dance… in public… even if we suck at it.

Maybe this doesn't make sense.  Quantum physics isn't simple.  It's very like Zen Buddhism.   What isn't and what is exist simultaneously on many planes.

 

I like one of the final statements of the film... "If you study science long enough and seriously enough and dig deeply enough, if you don't come out feeling whacko about it, you haven't understood a thing."

 

http://whatthebleep.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

<i>It's inspiration enough to stay out of bars.</i>

Very good point.

Then again, given the type of people who generally hang out at bars, if that (plus the fact that you've got those types of people within easy distance of alcohol) isn't disuasive I dunno what is. :P