Saturday, February 5, 2005

Saturday Night

A full day.  I worked both paying jobs today.  I have a third one.  Sometimes I get cash for it, sometimes just dinner out of it.

I have two jobs but it amounts to nothing.

I am thinking it is time to change from my main job...  it is becoming more rigorously structured and unpermissive.  I need a job that allows creativity, not a tight structure that fails to allow thinking for one's self.  This primary job is bureaucratic to the max.  Each branch of the system must be standardized and served by automatons.

How do you win in a system like this?  Some strategies:                                           

1.  Be cheerful.  Try to help yor co-workers keep their spirits up.

2. Abide primarily by the rules but be willing to bend them for the sake of the customer.

3. Stand your ground when common sense answers are available, when decisions manifest absurdities which can be improved upon.

4. You will not be appreciated by a machine.   Be yourself and stick up for yourself.

5.  Own responsibility for your mistakes.

6.  Do the tasks you hate to do and get them over with.

7. Speak your mind to the boss inspite of any fear you may have.

I keep thinking about quitting the second job, but I'm good at it and it helps me a little.  It doesn't matter so much that though I am very trusted at that job I am not honored with commensurate pay.  I go there and see the foolish things that scores of passing-through workers do.  It would benefit the place to establish real standards and expect its workers to abide by them.  Workers need to be listened to, considered, respected and paid according to merit.

No comments: