Sunday, February 13, 2005

Deserving

It's okay to let other people speak.  Sometimes their eloquence is all you need. 

To wit:

(the following entry is from this journal: http://journals.aol.com/peppypioneer/JustMeMusin/ )

 

Just Me Musin"

 

  Friday, January 14, 2005
3:38:00 AM EST
Feeling Quiet
Hearing house is quiet
My Mums Marriage

 

The year was 1949.  I was seven years old and living with my maternal grandparents when my Mother and Jackie were married in a small ceremony in a church in San Francisco, Ca.  Both had been married before and both brought a child into this union, a dughter of 7 by my mom and a son of 20 by Jackie.

After their union Betty and Jackie hitched an old travel trailer onto the back of an older car and set off to "see the country", stopping when the whim took them or they needed to work for a few months to replenish a dwindling bank account.  For three years they criss-crossed the United States, staying for extended periods in Florida, Arizona, and California and settling finally in the fledgling town of Las Vegas, Nevada.

Betty worked as a waitress both while they were "on the road" and also once they set down roots in the Nevada desert.  Jackie was a cook and easily found employment at one "greasy spoon" or another.  While traveling both Betty and Jackie stayed in close contact with "their" children, visiting when possible and sending many letters and phone calls along the way.

In High School I went to Nevada to live with my mother and Jackie in Las Vegas.  Life was rather routine, with work, school, chores, a little tv and an occasional forway to Lake Meade to fish or sun and swim.  Fred and his wife came often to visit, bringing their daughter with them.

Mother and Jackie did everything they could do legally in their 34 years together to make the "passing" of one or the other easier, including pre-paying funeral expenses and buying adjoining plots. 

At the end of their 33rd year together Jackie fell and broke a hip.  This was the first time in my life experience with Mother and Jackie that I felt the sting of societies intolerence and rejection.  Because mother and Jackie could not be "legally" married, both my mother and I were barred from sitting with Jackie while she lay dying in the intensive care unit of a local hospital, UNLESS WE LIED and said we were "relatives".  Jackie's son could not leave LA at the time and stayed in touch by phone, but he did not make it over before his mother passed on.

Adding insult to injury, when my mother and I went to the funeral parlor where she and Jackie had purchased plans and plots, my mother was not allowed to pick a casket or arrange for the funeral until after Fred showed up and gave it his rubber stamp of approval.  In addition, the local newspaper would not list my mother, who had been Jackie's life mate for 34 years, in the obituary.  For many friends, Jackie's passing would go unnoticed because her obituary carried her "given" name, not the one she had used for fifty years, and my mother wasn't listed by name to help with "recognition".

Betty and Jackie worked hard their entire lives.  They raised children who became heterosexual, functional and moral adults.  They paid taxes and contributed to the charities of their choice.  They never got to reap the benefits of a "marriage tax break" or any other.  They lived in a time when each had to provide their own health insuance, or do without.  Did they think this was fair?  No, of course not,, but their complaints were few and mostly had to do with being "accepted" as worthwhile human beings, not "sinners" or "perverts".

I wish that many "Christians" I know could have the benefit of knowing these two loving and caring people as I did.  It is hard to see "sin" in the face of love, compassion and normalcy.  Both my mother and Jackie had made an attempt to be other than who/what they were by marrying and bearing children.  My father left for good when I was less than a year old.  Jackie stayed in her marriage until she was widowed at an early age.  Both were miserable in their roles as "wife" and both thrived in their relationship with one another.  I can only believe that God smiled on their union because only good things came from it.  Peace



Written by peppypioneer (Link to this entry) This entry has 9 comments: (Add your own)
    thanks for telling this story mom... takes a lot of courage to take the best of history... we miss "Grammy"

    xxooxx

    jeff

    Comment from jeffyouknowwho - 1/26/05 11:03 PM

    You ruined my lunch.  I didn't even enjoy my favorite dessert - warm pecan pie and vanilla ice cream.  

    I have a bad taste in my mouth.  I am angry.

    There are six BILLION of us on this planet.  Six billion human animals, selfish by nature, each trying their best to make his or her life as pleasant as possible in an unpredictable, sometimes chaotic, dangerous and indifferent world.  

    Christianity SAYS it is the answer to all of life's problems.  It is just the opposite.  It is a cloying, regimented, unforgiving mode of behavior based on fear and founded on a belief in fairy tales written in a book by lonely desert shepherds dreaming of as better life to come after the dreary life they lived.  They even invented a son of their god who died at 34 for treason, traipsed around the desert for 40 months only with 12 other men,never got laid and knew only two women - his mother and a whore.  Hardly god material.

    What Betty and Jackie had was so much better than what Christians have.  They had true love for 34 years.  Not love dictated by others.  Unselfish, non-judgemental, unconditional love that most Christians can never have.  There is no heaven.  But if there was, first in line would be Betty.  And when Jackie leaves, they will be together again.  As they are now, in your heart.

    Love,

    Rob (An animal who can type)    
    Comment from wangfuzhong2 - 1/25/05 3:46 PM

    You know what I find fascinating?  Nowhere do you actually mention that Jackie is a woman and that you are writing about two women who decided to marry each other.  There isn't even a pronoun to give you away until nearly the end.

    Because of this, I assumed that "Jackie" was an affectionate name for a man named "Jack", not a woman named "Jaqueline".

    I wonder why that is?
    Comment from ribald1 - 1/24/05 2:56 AM

    When you describe betty and jackie this way, they are [my] heros.  
    Comment from boycalleddare - 1/20/05 11:52 PM

    This is one of the BEST things that I have ever read. It will be with me for a long time. Found my way here thru Judi. (She is just the best!)  Glad to know you! Anne (Saturday's Child)
    Comment from ksquester - 1/18/05 8:28 PM

    Paulette,

    You just gave me goose bumps!  What a beautiful story.  As far as the idiots at the hospital, I always lie and say I'm family!  If someone I love is in there hurt, I'm family!  My uncle and his partner have been together for over 30 years.  Let's hope we are making progress.  

    dave
    http://journals.aol.com/ibspiccoli4life/RandomThoughtsfromaProgressiveMi
    Comment from ibspiccoli4life - 1/15/05 5:28 PM

    I am sure that is was harder at that time then it would be today. Thankgoodness your Mom had a daughter like you that could accept her life style. Blessings, Paula
    Comment from plieck30 - 1/14/05 8:04 PM

    Hello, you don't probably know me but Kimbelina sent me this way and I am so glad she did. What a lovely, loving entry. I am a lesbian who lived in an abusive marriage for twenty years.... never really realizing who I was until I got back into contact with my best friend from high school, who had always been a lesbian. You see.... I was planning suicide and wanted to know that she made out all right before I left this earth.
    "Life is what happens when you are making other plans"....
    I discovered feelings and things about myself that I had never allowed myself to see, left my abusive marriage two years and two months ago, and came to live in a safe and loving home for the first time in my life. Sorry for the long story, but I wanted you to understand just how much this entry meant to me... I am living without my 16 and 20 year old children because they refuse to accept the choice I made.
    But I am alive.
    Blessings to you and yours.
    judi
    http://journals.aol.com/judithheartsong/newbeginning/
    Comment from judithheartsong - 1/14/05 12:53 PM

    I HAPPEN TO THINK THAT YOU HAD TWO VERY GOOD ROLE MODELS IN THOSE TWO BRAVE , COURAGEOUS WOMEN. I KNOW IT WASNT EASY FOR THEM. EVEN TODAY, SOCIETY IS SO HINKY ABOUT THIS AND IT MAKES ME SICK. I SAY LIVE AND LET LIVE. TO EACH HIS OWN. WHOSE TO SAY WHERE AND WITH WHOM ONES HAPPINESS LIES? I HAVE A NEICE AND NEPHEW WHO ARE BOTH GAY AND I DO NOT TOLERATE ANYONE PUTTING THEM DOWN FOR IT. I LOVE THEM. LOVE DOESNT SEE A SEXUAL PREFERENCE. LOVE IS UNCONDITIONAL. PERIOD DOT.
    THANK YOU FOR THIS ENTRY.
    KIM.

No comments: