Sunday, February 13, 2005

Puppy Power!

Sunday morning and I have not only been out of bed before 7:30 a.m., but I have been outside.  I don't know when I opened my eyes, because I was struggling to keep them open as I chatted with online friends last night, but open they did. As soon as my backbone would follow I was squirming and stretching and I called to the golden retriever lying  on the other side of the bed and he moved over to me without standing so I could pet his head.  This is the life!

Don't get me wrong.  I love my cat.  But my friends' golden retriever understands every word I say and reacts to it just the way I hope he would.  Your children should be so well-behaved. 

I have plans for my friend today.  We are going to go play in a nearby park with some pugs and we are probably going to my father's house to meet my step-mother's dog, Snowball. 

There is a black and tan collie there named Sandy Shoes, but he is not as social as Snowbally, who as best as I can guess is some sort of cross between  West Highland White Terrier and maybe a Lhasa Apso?   Maltese?    I haven't seen any dog that looks like him completely.  I think maybe one of his parents was a mixed breed itself.  He's very cute and very stout and very spoiled.

He came to my step-mother's house after being found by firemen when someone thought they heard a baby crying under a house.  My step-sister was a small girl then and seeing the little white ball cried out, "Snowbally."  The dog stayed, but my step-mother was not amused with him at all.  Flash forward to today and my step-mother and the dog cannot live without each other.

Oh, Snowball has my father as a servant, but it is my step-mother's hands that crumble his food to bite-size every night, and she is just about the only person who can pick the dog up.

The pugs we plan to go play with live with a lesbian grandmother of my acquaintance.  Actually that hardly describes Y.K.  She is highly educated, published, and has taught at the professorial level.  She was one of the founders of Compass in Palm Beach County, which is the gay community center.  She's a rare and valuable find in this place.

I need to go home and check on my cat. I could get used to staying in this house, though, where I feel very much loved.  Besides, I use dial-up and people may be trying to call!  I shouldn't be a pig!

No comments: