Thursday, August 25, 2005

It finally happened

So the library closed today at noon and won't open again until Saturday.  I certainly hope that it opens Saturday.  I don't get paid for these off days. (curses)

The panic is still present but not as bad as last night.  People were still pouring into the parking lot as we left for home.  I could hear cries of chagrin at the doors as we exited the building.

It's nice to be loved.

You never know a blessing in disguise until it wakes you up.  When I got home, I noticed the smell of hot iron and olive oil and felt that it was warmer than it should be.

I knew some day I would run out without turning off the double burner.  Today was the day.  I got home probably just before one.  I would have been on the desk if this day had gone the way it was laid out.  I was home early today because of the coming storm. 

The damage appears minimal.  My iron griddle pan was formed in hell-hot fires.  I reckon it will be okay.  I scraped the strange melange of burnt oil and metal off and gave the pan another drink of olive oil, which it thirstily took.  Later tonight, I'll clean it and count another blessing, courtesy of old-fashioned cookware.  I'll have to check the burner.  I'll be bummed if I can't cook my eggs tomorrow.

I am not in the mood, with a gas panic going on, to travel into town if it isn't necessary.  Gas prices, gratefully, haven't really risen.  However gas itself may be scarce today and tomorrow and possibly into the weekend.

Fortunately for me, I am a freak about keeping the tank full.  I rarely ever get below 3/4ths, let alone a half.  I only go to a fourth when I have a reason to, for instance... say... I wanted to add some Techron....  (I do believe what Chevron says about this stuff.) Anyway, I filled up Tuesday.  I'm good.  And if Ramona cancels her vacation because of the storm, I will be staying put unless they call for trailer evacuations here.  Then I have a choice of places to stay (I think that Cristy and her husband would take me in.  Ramona has already asked me to come over anyway.), but I will probably go to Dad's if it comes to it.

Otherwise, as long as there is electricity, I have DVDS and the computer and books.  And even if there is no power, I can read or write ideas for other journal entries.

DVDs for watching in the next few days include:

Night of the Living Dead (I like old-fashioned schlock.)

House of Flying Daggers (I enjoy some chop-socky.)

Kabbi Khushi Kabhie Gham... (I like foreign films usually.  Bollywood productions are fun... but I don't think this is one.  I hpoe it is, though.)

Then for some reason, I have picked up DVDs on art including: The Shock of the New, Odyssey into the Mind's Eye, Strand and Lascaux.  Should I blame it on Judi?

No comments: