Saturday, August 13, 2005

Earth, Wind and Fire... and other stuff.

Yeah, my crazy friends and I had a good time last night at the Earth, Wind & Fire/Chicago concert.

But that was at the end of an interesting day.

My day began by going to the main library for a class on the circulation software that we use.  There were really only two of us in the class, but two others sat in, including my buddy Josh, who inspired me to blog in the first place.

My pal Maureen (from my branch) was there, too.  It was a nice change from the morning routine.

I got to work and after we opened, someone came in to tell us that one of our seasonal volunteers had died at her home in Seattle.  We were stunned.  I was out shelving and I got weak in the knees and sort of sick.  I had to stop and sit down and then I actually had to go outside and cry.

Betty was a tiny, vital little lady.  She was always polite and respectful to everyone and she was very smart, very sharp.  The idea of never seeing her again just sent me into a mild kind of shock.

I gathered myself, somewhat, and returned a call from the recruiter at the county hospital.  I had applied for a clerk's position but was not chosen, but Thursday my recruiter, Evette, had left a message on my answering machine saying that another position was opening up and she wanted to submit my application for it.

(You gotta love it when they call you!)

So I finally contacted her via the phone in the workroom at the library.  It may have been a brazen and naughty thing to do, but I didn't care.  We are entitled to breaks which I never take and after the way the upline has treated me at the library, I figured it was a subtle protest. 

I love my co-workers and the library patrons but a girl needs to support herself and if her employer is less than supportive, she needs to find other options... and find someplace where loyalty, intelligence and hard work are recognized and appreciated.  A girl also needs some BENEFITS!

The other women at the library, all with degrees, come to me with questions about the computers, Internet searching, spelling and general knowledge.  Lynn, the new and loved branch manager, agreed to be a reference but then added, "but not if it means your leaving us!"

She knows I am looking for something else.  I told her.  I thought it was only fair and she understands my reasons.

And finally the day ended... it was one of the days where you suddenly realize that the working day is over... because the place is emptying out and because someone invariably gets stopped at the front door on the way out because the automatic doors lock before we officially close.  I try to lock the inner doors open so that we can call out to people who can't egress and start feeling trapped before they muscle the outer doors open.

It would be simple and logical to put up a sign that directs them to push the square green button to the left that opens the doors... but nooooo.

(I have to go get my hair cut at 9 a.m.... I'll be back to finish this later.)

 

4869

No comments: