Thursday, August 25, 2005

I'm not sure... but I think I'm...? bored.

You can only play some many games.  I am not in the mood to watch a DVD.  I know what I'd like to be doing since it's yucky, windy and wet outside, but I am home alone.  I have plenty of books to read.  Just not in the mood.  I guess I could get started doing something and maybe I'd get into it.

I tried reading a J.D. Robb book during Hurricane Frances.  It was such formulated swill I couldn't read it.  Even though I tried very hard, the continuous wind and trees scraping the house were too distracting.

There is a value to mindless books.  The value is in their very mindlessness.  I know very bright people who read them because something interesting would keep them up all night.  And what working mother doesn't need to be transported lakeside to watch Lex and Janie get it on in the boathouse? Hm? 

I might be gay, but I understand these things.

Whatever quickens the pulse.

At the same time, something that engages the brain, that you don't want to put down, that you read on your lunch hour and every spare chance you get...  that's good stuff, too.

We are always asked if we've read books that are brought up to the desk.  (As if I had the time!) Not usually, but I do appreciate hearing other people's opinions so I can say, "Well, no... but I have heard...."

Now if I was a speed-reader I could knock of a few dozen tonight and tomorrow and be a better library worker for it.  I pay enough attention to our patrons to learn what's what from them. 

I can help you scope out your genre.  Comedic mysteries?  Fluffy romance? Intrigue?  Blood and guts?  Cats as a major character in a murder mystery?  Murder with recipes?  Christian fiction? Something deliciously unusual? I got ya' covered.

Alexander McCall Smith

Sue Monk Kidd

Bryce Courtenay  "The Power of One"

Alice Sebold

Jhumpa Lahiri

Khaled Hosseini

Dan Brown

Ken Follett

Nicholas Sparks

James Patterson's more touchy-feely stuff

Washington Irving

And you?  What do you recommend?  What have you read and enjoyed?

No comments: