Wednesday, July 27, 2005

So I'm reading Harry Potter and I notice spelling errors.  Words not in their proper tense.  Very curious.  I'm wondering why, how it happened.  Could it be on purpose? Someone as deliberate as J.K. Rowling wouldn't intentionally bobble her grammar, would she?

##################################################

It's getting so that we can almost tell which patron is in the library by the tune on their cell phones!!!!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Harry Potter: You can be number 99 on the holds list or get him today for 1 week for $1.

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"So I'm reading Harry Potter and I notice spelling errors.  Words not in their proper tense.  Very curious.  I'm wondering why, how it happened.  Could it be on purpose? Someone as deliberate as J.K. Rowling wouldn't intentionally bobble her grammar, would she?"

I think there are a couple things that slipped through the cracks that were mistakes.

However, several more things which people have pointed out as errors are actually correct useage if you speak English English rather than American English.  And fug is actually a real word too. :P

Lemme know when you get done with the book.   I want to hear your thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Nope, I am "hep" to the Queen's English.  These are clearly errors.  I didn't think to note them and I'm not going back now.  They aren't big klutzy errors.  That's probably why they went unchecked.  When you are as big as Ms. Rowling, who cares, right?
So far, I find this one easier reading than the last.  Order of the Phoenix took a long time to get to the point, I thought.  Maybe it was the state of my life or the choppy way I had to read it between jobs, but it seemed like the characters were doing a lot of running around....  Maybe I need to read it again. But so far with HBP, everything seems to have a purpose, which is Rowling's hallmark and what I like so much about her.  I appreciate that Harry is so good that the people who have read it, kids included are keeping their gobs shut about the rumors and letting people read for themselves.