Monday, July 4, 2005

borne on the 4th of July

I left Barry and Sandy's house this morning after letting out the dogs there and saying goodbye to Derek, who gets up with the roosters.

Barry lights lots of fireworks each year.  This was the first year I went  Very impressive display.  I was thinking that it might be easier and more fun for Barry if he had at least one other person helping him, or maybe a small crew.

He said himself that he can't enjoy them like his spectators do because he is busy trying to make sure he doesn't blow himself up.  Ask and you shall receive Bear. (I am not volunteering.  I bet Derek would love to help set things off.)

 

On the way home, I saw a cab and I realized that it was D**** M****.  Mr. M**** is an old black man who is his own cab company.  He seemed pretty ancient when my grandfather was alive.  He used to drive my grandfather for free for all the things my grandfather did for Mr. M**** and his community.

Now Mr. M**** must be close to 80 if he isn't already there.  But he was on the road this morning and I followed him all the way to my tiwn where he turned in to a nursing home and I knew he was probably picking up a regular fare to go shopping or maybe to church. (Some people do go to church on Monday.)  Then, too, he may have been collecting someone from the night shift.  It's even possible that he was going to see his wife... I don't know that she is there, but anything is possible.

I used to wonder who people are and where they were going.  Now that I drive, half the time everyone else is an ******* who is impeding my progress.  Sometimes, I still wonder who these people are, where they come from, why they came here, what they think they are doing....

I am sorry that I wasn't here with my cat last night.  Saturday's fireworks had her alarmed and running through the place or drawing close to me for reassurance.

I hope that she realized at some point that nothing bad was happening to her.

She was very happy to see me this morning.  I wondered if her yowling to me out the window wasn't enough to wake the guy next door.

I noticed that he has a new batch of kittens hanging out at his house, cruising his carport.  If I were to start the whole cat lady thing...    I certainly have the animal resource right next door.

The last batch of kittens were stubby-tailed and medium-haired.  These little bombers have their tails and appear to be short-haired.

I wonder what kind of cats he'll foster next.

 

No comments: