Saturday, July 9, 2005

kennel night

Waking up to more high winds and gray skies with the guarantee of rain today.

I get to walk the dogs tonight, too.  That is, if I can get the dogs to go out....

Some dogs are hearty and happy-go-lucky and march into the yard.  Others take a look and give me the "you-gotta-be-kidding" routine.  Some run out and then realize they are wet and it's windy and they say "No Thanks... I'll hold it another 12 hours."

Some dogs charge out of their kennels.  Others cower and refuse to walk out on their own.

The kennel is completely enclosed so they aren't exposed to weather or bugs or heat.  We let them out run by run... or family by family if there are two or more boarding together.

Some animals become fearfully aggressive when they get caged.  Others don't seem to mind.  Some just try to hide.  Most dogs are pretty cool about it.  They are smart enough to realize they aren't alone, no one is hurting them, they have blankees to rest on and food and water.

Some of them are probably glad to be away from kids who pull their tails and old women who squeeze them hard and tote them around in their purses.

There are dogs that have been boarding for many years.  They know the routine.  They are old friends and I am always happy to see them.  Except for one... he's just mean through and through.  He pinned me in his cage once.  I got out somehow but I was very unhappy while he was terrorizing me with wide-eyed threat barks.

I've learned a few tricks.  I can "lasso" dogs as they exit their run.  I know to throw cookies into the run of ornery dogs like the one who pinned me and stills visits us sometimes.  (And I was proud to catch a cat that was running around the kitty ward, while the doctor was standing there with some other befuddled co-workers, by gracefully slipping my arm beneath it as it flew and coming up with the critter under control.)

And there are dogs who can be counted on to go right back into their runs when they are finished.  And others who wanna cruise the kennel and tease the other dogs.

 

I only got bit once, by this old, decrepit, blind, short dog.  I walked close and it jumped up and bit my hand.  It was a surprise but it was old and blind and scared.  It didn't want affection from a stranger.

There was another instance when a pit bull (or American Staffordshire Terrier ifyou prefer) took my leg in its mouth.  Luckily, I had on blue jeans that day instead of thin hospital scrubs that the full-timers must wear.  All I got out of that was a bruise.  I'm glad he wasn't being serious.

And I have been pushed pretty hard by rottweilers and boxers and such... dogs that like to rise and be noticed. 

Most of the time I go there grumpy.  I leave tired but happy.  I love being around the animals.  They don't lie about their feelings and they don't yell without reason.  They accept love for what it is and as it comes.  If you really listen to them, they will tell you many things and teach you something about being human.

I don't know that there's anything wrong with wanting to be someone's dog....

 

No comments: