Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Getting tested for STDs: What it's like.

Here's what it was like:

I went to the Health Department, arriving about 9:20.  My appointment was for 9:30. I maybe should have arrived at 9.

I signed in and waited to be called. I was called and sat down and filled out some basic forms aboout my name and address.

I went and waited with a mixed crowd of people in a sterile and kind of boring, but large waiting room... probably for over an hour.

There were some little kids running around and they, along with a TV running CNN health blurbs, provided the entertainment.

My turn finally came and I was led to a small room and handed a cup.  I obligingly peed in the cup in the privacy of a bathroom and returned it to the nurse.

I was then led into an exam room and asked to sit in a chair while I was asked about my health status and my sexual activities.  They asked if I was born in the U.S. and if I'd ever had a blood transfusion.

Then the nurse asked me to removed my pants and wait on the table for an exam.  The doctor came in and took a swab from my vagina.  I finally got the lady who had asked all the questions to crack a smile when I said that if I had known this was coming, I'd have shaved... ... my legs.

I did tell her and the doctor that I was a lesbian.  These people are professionals, sworn to help.  They see all kinds of people.  And it's private information.

The doctor and his assistant left the room so I could dress and then I met two more nice ladies who took my blood for the HIV test.

So that's urine, vaginal swab and blood.

I paid...  it was $30. I made an appointment to come back in three weeks.

It was not a major inconvenience.  I hit my car about 11:57.

Why did I do this?

I did this because I want to be sure that I am healthy.  I have no symptoms.  I have no suspicions. I want to be able to give the gift of reassurance to people who will be intimates.  I also want to give the gift of time to people I have been with if I am sick.  And I want you to feel okay about doing this for yourself.

We are responsible to each other, even after a relationship ends.

Yeah.  It's scary. I'd hate to be the one who made someone sick, but life is a gift that we shouldn't take for granted. 

In three weeks... I'll tell you what the follow-up is like.

 

 

4460

 

No comments: