Monday, July 18, 2005

rain, sweat and neighbors when you're naked

So yesterday I am lying in bed in my underpants because it is hot even with the a/c and two fans going.

I have smelled rain but the rain doesn't stop here.

The bedspread is soaked but I don't even care.

I get up to do some laundry, that's about all.  I am known for preferring heat to cold, and for being cold when other people are comfortable or even warm.

I placed a towel between the computer and myself to absorb the glistening.  (For that is what Southern ladies do, you know.)

But I am asleep and my hair is hagged out when I hear someone banging on my door.

I call out that I'll be there in a moment and then start digging for anything to put on.  I find a pair of shorts and a Hawaiian shirt.  I keep a Marlins cap on a nail by the inner door and I put that on, too, because the whole Medusa effect is not what I'm going for.

(Reminder to self: Keep some clothes by the bed!)

It wasn't my friend, the racist nudist next door.  It was the little guy from across the street, one of the only other five neighbors I've ever spoken with at all.

He tells me he's sorry he doesn't come over to say "Hello" more often. He tells me that I am a nice neighbor to have around. He talks about the racist nudist and says he thinks he's a woman-hater.  I say ol' Dick hates everybody but he's very good to me when I need help.  George, the little guy, seems kind of surprised to hear it.

Then he asks for my landlords phone number.  My landlord flattened out the road in front of my place a few weeks ago and laid down some crumbled asphalt.  It's a very nice surface on a sandy road that tends to get big holes in it.(The neighborhood is on a sandy ridge, one of the high points left behind when the ocean waters receded way back when.) 

My landlord operates one of those giant construction dumpster services.  He has tractors and trucks and all kinds of guys working for him.

When he was here, he also steamrolled my yard.  I have no idea why he steamrolled the yard, I just noticed that the tree stump in the center of the yard was gone and that the wildflowers up against the house where suddenly higher than the rest of the yard.

Makes ya' say "Whaa...?!"

Ah... I cursed the absence of rain and went to Cristy's, but in the early morning, rain finally came.

Even though we have had lots of rain, sand does not hold it well and the grass quickly folds into needles and turns brown.  It's more fun to mow it when it's green and full... and it is time to mow but I've been bad....

No comments: