Saturday, October 29, 2005

Was it Wilma or is it us?

I can't tell if we've all been hardened a little, or if Wilma, who did indeed kick some arse, was just not all that bad.

Oh, there's destruction and difficulty here to be sure, but somehow... it just doesn't seem to matter as much.

A lot of people are saying that Wilma was worse than last years "Spin Sisters," but  I'm thinking they just forget easily.

Much of the recovery is going more smoothly, in my opinion anyway.  Maybe it's just because we had an idea of what to expect this time around.  Maybe it's because the physical landscape was already decimated.  Maybe it's because we now realize that ignorance was the cause of some of our suffering before.

I went to Cristy's this evening and saw that they had sliced their screens to let the wind blow through.  Cristy had footage of the fury of the wind whipping the torn screen and blowing the treetops horizontally eastward.

I woke up worn out.  I think the shock of getting back to a somewhat normal state in a matter of three days after the hurricane, coupled with the anxiety and the crazy day we had Wednesday running errands and dealing with the car had something to do with it.

This time, I'm not that upset about not being in my own humble rental.  I'm comfortable at Dad's, having taken over my sister's room.  I paid next month's rent even though I won't be there for a while.  Someone else might request a break in the rent but I believe that a landlord will be good to you as long as you show respect and pay the bill.

Come to think of it, I really want to do something nice for the guy who found the wire in the first place.

I should be upset but today I was happy.  I can't help but feel fortunate right now.  I have what I need to survive.   My car is running.  My landlord was out to the trailer fairly soon after the storm.  My job is still there.  Losing a day's work was so worth taking precautions to keep the car from burning up.  My friends are okay.  There are gas lines but we still seem to have plenty of the stuff around.  I had a warm shower this morning.  I'm feeling blessed.

For the record, if you live along a coast and are in a gas shortage... try a marina.  The gas costs more but there aren't likely to be any lines.

***************************************************************

Today after work I stopped home.  I was heading back out when I saw a woman pushing her car off of US 1.  I couldn't stop to help her because it wasn't safe but I swung back around and reached her after she had pushed the car into the sand and was starting to walk away.

I pulled up behind her and turned on my hazard lights.

"Do you need a phone?"   She started walking back toward me and we met.  She refused the phone but caught herself from crying when she said, "Could you just give me a ride home?"

I dumped my refugee debris out of the front seat and she got in.

"Hi, I'm Jean.  I work at the library."

"I''m Pat, I'm a hairdresser at a shop in _______."

"That's ironic.  Just moments ago I was thinking I need a haircut."

"Sure.  That's the least I could do, " she answered.

I thanked her but refused, saying that I had things to do.

So I drove her home and let her out and went on my way.

I wonder if I'll ever even see her again.

Of the fews things I know to be true, the idea that we have to help each other is in the soup.

And here's a toast to the power company guys both local and out-of-state.  I beep and "blink" and carry on when I see them.    Love your work, buddies.

And my thoughts also go out tonight to the sick, the poor, the people still dealing with this huricane's mess and healthcare workers...  Bless 'em.

I was surprised tonight to find bread in the grocery store. : o    Lucky me.

No comments: