Wednesday, October 5, 2005

Back to the reversi porch

... because I'm just not running with the big dogs today.

Now and then, I get delusions that I'm ready to take on better reversi players.  I bumped myself up to intermediate this morning and it wasn't pretty.  I know that if I play better players I am likely to get better.  But the truth is that I don't know that I can stand the ego-crushing. 

And this early in the morning, the intermediate and advanced players aren't generally Americans.  I was crushed by a Russian this a.m. who must be some kind of genius.

The thing about games like reversi and Chess, you have to be able to think ahead about what you'll do. several moves ahead.  Aside from that, you have to know a few things about the effect of where you place your disks.

There are a few key things that I know, but I apparently do not know enough and maybe it is time that I spent some time getting whipped so I can advance.

The thing is that I like to feel victorious in the morning.  It helps my day go better. 

So maybe my strategy should be ego warm-ups in the morning, and be taught some hard lessons in the evening.

It might send me to sleep grumpy, but that's okay.  I'll fight the good fight in the morning and hopefully feel right as rain again before I have to face people.

There's plenty of people as good or better than me playing in the beginners still.  My object is fun... however, my other object is to keep my mind perking along.

I guess I owe it to my aging cells to give then something more to work on.

Have you tried Reversi (aka Othello?)

 

 

5827

No comments: