Sunday, October 23, 2005

Update: Waiting for Wilma

Four carloads.

I went back this morning for the refrigerated food and a few final things, including my bargain kitty litter and the fan that pushes air through my house.  I gave up and left my Fiestaware in the china cabinet and in the dish drainer.  I'm tired of the overwhelmment of things. As an afterthought, I turned around and went back to bag up my DVDs and some favorite videotapes.

I was thinking that if tornadic activity blows away the trailer that I rent and all the rest of the stuff of our old lives, maybe I could stay here.  If there's no rent, I could save up for one of those small trailers to squeeze my stuff into to haul along every time I need to evacuate.  One trip.  Easy.

The county is closed Monday.  That means I will work all week. ---> Grumble.

Now I'm "hunkered down" in my father's house.  If I hadn't spoken, he would still be blasting minute-by-minute coverage of the storm.  I hate senseless noise.  It's not as if you can do anything about it.

I'd rather be home, thinking about whatever I'd be thinking about and probably staying in bed trying to compose something wonderful and petting my cat when she comes close.  Instead, my cat is upstairs in a closed room due to the collie who loves to snuffle for nuggets and bark at alien life forms.  Unfortunately, the extra "baby gate" went to college with my younger sister's cat.

I had a phone message from my older sister at home this morning.  Some message about how I must be out having fun on a Saturday night.  Yeah, evacuating myself was a blast.

I did go over late to the Halloween party put on by one of the receptionists from the animal hospital.  Not knowing that the party was back on by 4 in the afternoon on Saturday, I loaned my costume to the library branch manager for her daughter who had just found out about a Harry Potter-themed party. 

My costume is not a Harry Potter costume per se, but a similar character is in the books.  I'm sorry I am not at liberty to divulge what my costume is because I want it to be a surprise to my friends when I finally do get to wear it.

I had a black mask and my friends provided a black cloak and a pair of sparkly red horns.  Suddenly I was the devil in disguise. (Do ya hear Elvis?)

I don't know what to do next.  Go backto sleep or take advantage of the luxury of being where there is a bathtub! 

I know.  Take a bath, go hibernate with the cat in the central air, and read a book.

Yeah. 

Judi... Thank you.  I don't talk to you as often as I could, but I always appreciate your kind comments.  (My "prize" was in the very first carload.  I'm so glad that I hadn't thrown out your packaging.  It was a drag to be taking it off display to go on the run again.)

 

6195

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Crossing my fingers for you that Wilma falls apart, turns the other way, loses strength... Something!   ~Sie

Anonymous said...

Go see my new entry. It'll make you laugh. We're gonna be fine, the hurricane has been downgraded to a 2 or something. Lots of rain for the flowers is all:)
MAryanne
http://journals.aol.com/globetrotter2u/Myfeelingsarereal/entries/1168

Anonymous said...

glad you are taking care........ thinking of all of you down there! judi