Monday, October 3, 2005

another round from the reversi board

The choices of what you can say to your opponent aren't too varied.  There's Hello; Thank You; Nice Move; Good Luck; Good Game; Didn't see that coming; Ouch!; Oops!; :) ; :( ; It was luck; You're Welcome; Nice Comeback; It's your turn; Be right back...; Okay, I'm back; It's Your Turn; Are you still there?; Nice try; You're Welcome;  Sorry, I have to go now.... You get the idea.  International diplomacy.

It'd be more fun if it could be a little more interactive, a little more hip-hop, a little more sardonic.

I'd like to trade barbs.  I'd like to know who I'm playing.  Since January, I've written about this game. Like most any game, we learn from it.  I am getting better at it yet... but my opponents remain the unknown.

Who are they?  They are people in the US and other countries all over the world.  Wherever Microsoft products are sold, I suppose.

Are they mostly male?  I don't rightly know.  Some of them are very chatty.  Maybe they are attempting distraction or maybe they are just lonely.  Others shut off their chat capabilities for whatever reason.

I'd like the chance to communicate, to question.

I'd ask their age and gender.  I'd want to know what time it is in their country and what their doing online at that particular hour.  I'd ask them how long they've been playing the game.

I'd also like to snippy and brash.  I'd like to offer sass. I might even enjoy being a little crude.

Maybe something like that would change perceptions or maybe it would just fan flames.

At the very least, they could add a few more phrases to choose from.

No, let's face it... I'm a would-be Yenta.  I'm too curious.  I want details.  I want to get into that Turk's head.  I want to know what's up with the Serbian.  I wanna know what the Thai is having for dinner.  I want to query the Swede on what life is in a neutral country.

Bill Gates could make it happen. 

Oh, Mr. Gates....

 

5808

No comments: