Sunday, September 18, 2005

Happy Birthday, RBC!

Today is the birthday of a very good friend, known to some of you as "Relentlessly Blinking Cursor." She is a very keen student of life who does not write her observations nearly often enough to suit me.

I first met Cristy in 1997 when I came to work at the animal hospital. It was the first time that I noticed her, but she remembered me from the time that I volunteered at a local elementary school in Special Education classrooms.

I was being taken around the hospital and introduced.  The sight of Cristy made my heart bounce.  I heard my inner-self praying, "Oh lord, tell me she's gay!"  She was gorgeous.  I noticed her dark dancing eyes and her wild dark hair.  She spoke to me like she knew me, with a pinch of salt that I have come to know as her cynical wit.

I was kind of awestruck and didn't know what to say, but I knew that I liked her.  It made me happy to get fussed at by her when I helped her out.  I had no idea that it would turn into a friendship and beyond that, my moral support system.

Things rolled right along until the fateful night that I met her and her husband and mother in a gay bar. They were there to celebrate an event. I had a straight friend along.  I sheepishly asked if I could let my "straight friend" join them.

Cristy must have already known I was gay.  I guess you had to be there, but it was confirmation.  It wasn't until a good while later that I finally began talking to Cristy about my life.  In fact, I remember that we were in her car, running a food errand for the hospital when I first said something about being gay.

I don't know what I did to get so lucky.  Cristy does not take people in easily.  She seems to know who will be loyal.  She is a kind, considerate hostess.  She shares easily and gives freely.  She even manages to be considerate of people that she does not care for.  I think that is what makes a person big.

Cristy encourages me to keep rolling along with my life. 

She came an unpacked me when I moved to the place I live now. 

She keeps threatening to sneak into my house while I am away and clean it.  I am almost tempted to leave a key for her because I am too sentimental.  That should read "ought to be sent to a mental...."  Pack-rat-itis is an unhealthy thing.

She helped me cover my arse when I found it necessary to break up with someone earlier this year, giving me the words I didn't know how to say.

Every weekend is time to be with her and her family and friends.  Friday night and Sunday night, unless something extraordinary happens.

Cristy is a "brassy broad with a heart of gold."  I love that type of woman!

You'd never guess that she and her family are from Nebraska.  She is as worldly as any hussy from a big city.

She is sooo sassy.  She gives the death glare to her husband when he walk by and shoots us the high sign of international love and brotherhood if we tease or displease her.

Today she will be all of 34.  Isn't that cute?  Hmmm, in many ways she is older than me.  She certainly is wiser in the ways of the world.

I know she has times of blueness, but her life is good.  Nice home, decent husband, gorgeous and talented daughter, best dog in the world, job where she has power and influence, her mom is close by and her mother-in-law adores her, and fabulous friends....  Life is good.

I hope to be like her when I grow up.

Until then, we must continue to worship her for the goddess she is.

 

(**Note** Yesterday was my step-mother's birthday, today is Cristy and my library boss' birthday, tomorrow is the birthday of the veterinarian and my step-brother.  Coincidence that I have these "Cancers" in my life?  I think not.  I joked with a co-worker on Friday that I need to interview my potential employers and ask when their birthday is.  I have tried not to give credence to astrology but there are times when it just seems to ironic to not pay attention to.)

5405

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you and now you know a bit more dont you not very pretty is it?..........................Thanks for the entry :)

ps we are virgo

:) Me