Monday, September 12, 2005

The Gay Card

I had a vision today.  I had calling cards in two separate cases in my pockets.  One case had a plus sign on the cover, the other had a minus sign. I handed out the card in the minus or negative case to people who are or might be intolerant, or whose having the other card might endanger me somehow.

What is on the cards?  Well, both cards have my name but the positive card has more information, incluing a link to this journal.  The negative cards are all business and sparse with info.  The e-mail address is not Virage65@aol.com but some other e-mail account for people who are not family and friends or gay-friendly.

This idea probably came from the idea that it is not illegal to discriminate against people for being homosexual in the state of Florida. This is one of the things that I think about when I think about the way the library has treated me.

It could very well be that the woman refused me an interview knows that I'm gay.  Not that it matters. Whatever I'm doing to prevent the woman from adoring me, it's done.  Her view of me is set.

I have no doubt that there was some underlying reason to not help me move up. 

My decision is to seek counsel with Human Resources, saying only that I was denied an interview. 

And maybe I need to ask about the fact that I work 40 hours every week and have for four years and yet don't have benefits. 

As for the calling cards...  I don't wat to feel like I have to hide anymore, in any way.   It's tiresome. 

I think most of my co-workers would be okay with it.  It's just other certain folks that I have enough trouble with already.  They don't need much excuse to make life difficult for other people.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

for a long time I did have two sets of cards here...... very interesting post. There is a very different atmosphere in Florida. Here in DC it is so much less an issue for the most part, and there are gay and lesbian couples all over my complex. Our downstairs neighbors are gay men, and their next door neighbors are an elderly lesbian couple. At one point the lesbians told us they complained about noise to the boyz next door, and the one guy said.... "you just hate us because we're gay!!!!" She said, "are you kidding? WE'RE gay you idiot!!!!"
There go the Canada Geese past my window.
judi