Friday, November 4, 2005

little misunderstandings

About a year or so ago, after Hurricane Frances, I worked with another woman of my "persuasion" from the library who was also helping out FEMA reps.  I hadn't really known her before then, but I liked her right off and she appreciated my sense of humor.

I later found out that she was gay and that explained why we got along so well.  The few minutes we chatted were filled with fun.

One day, she came to this branch to help us for the day.  We chatted as we worked the desk together.  She told me about her girlfriend.  I enjoyed her presence.  She's a good person.  We have mutual friends.

She was feeling sick that day and was stuffy in the head.  At the end of the day, I wanted to reassure her after all she had revealed to me that I was the only one who knew about her life.  In the parking lot as we prepared to leave, I leaned across my car and told her that her life was not a matter of public record.

She looked at me angrily and stated, "I don't care!"  She got in her vehicle and drove off.  It took me a few moments to realize that she hadn't heard me right.

A little while later she left the library system.  I never got the chance to explain and apologize.  I even wrote her a note that I was going to ask another co-worker to deliver and even tried to catch her via e-mail. 

She probably still thinks I'm an ass.  I have always felt bad about it because she could have been a great friend.  I hadn't gotten along with anyone so instantly and so well since college.

I miss a friend I never had.  Que lastima! (What a shame!)

 

No comments: