Wednesday, November 16, 2005

hey folks, take it easy on me, please

My life has been turned sideways since Wilma.  Don't hussle me out of AOL just yet.  I neither have great amounts of leisure time nor of cash to go whippin' around setting myself up with something that doesn't work as well as AOL dial-up.

I concur with my friends and fellow journalers that the ads are unfair, but I'm just getting my life back.  Please... give me a "moment."

The truth of the matter is in your suggestion that it only hurts when we cancel our subscriptions but it is also true that we are replaceable.  In the overall scheme, it just doesn't matter what we do unless we really bring AOL to widespread public notice.

Has anyone called The Washington Post or The New York Times?  The Week?  The Daily Show?

Has anyone whose blog has made headlines called the reporter who wrote their story?

Huh?

You wanna be loud about your protests?  Say it with publicity as well as the withdrawal of subscription funds.

I didn't want to leave AOL, but their failure to enable anyone who wants to leave a comment to do so has been my greatest disappointment, not the placement of ads which may actually serve to keep our costs down over time. 

I am not advocating using what should be personal space to advertise for corporate monsters like Kodak and Bank of America, but you best believe I'd allow it if I could get extra money for food and shelter from it.

I believe we should be allowed to choose and should be given some financial consideration if we allow ads. 

I have been helped much more than hindered by the online help at AOL and I am not in a rush to desert AOL completely.

I am however in complete sympathy with my friends who take great offense at the unsolicited advertising in their journals and that is why I moved my journal to Blogger.  I've had another journal there for quite a while but preferred the camaradery and ease of AOL.

 

More later.  Gotta get back to work....

Jean

 

6520

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make good suggestions, Jean. I'm sure Judith or Pamela will do something like that. In the meanwhile I agree with you that there are more pressing things in some of our lives right now than switching our blog to another space.
Good luck with th aftermath of Wilma...
Maryanne
http://journals.aol.com/globetrotter2u/Myfeelingsarereal/