Thursday, January 20, 2005

Love and Devotion

V gave me a quote: "Heeding the call of a life of wakefulness, honesty and a love free of attachment is, perhaps, the most courageous and noble challenge facing any human being."

I have had this piece of paper on display in my house for many months.  I have been contemplating it but still am not sure that I understand.

Co-dependency. As I have come to understand this term, it means to be in a relationship where one or both parties enables the other to carry on in an unhealthy fashion.  But it seems like people mean that we should not rely on ech other, that we should be independent.  I think that is bogus!

Love without devotion is not love.  Love without devotion is a sundog in lieu of a rainbow.  I love my friends and my family.  I don't need to be with them to be devoted or to express my devotion.  But I am better for my relationships with these people.  We all NEED other people in our lives.

I'm sorry, cynical and bitchy world, but I AM ATTACHED to every person who I love.  I don't need to own them.  I do need to love them.

I would love to hear others weigh in on this topic.  If you are feeling shy about someone else seeing your response, feel free to e-mail me: virage65@aol.com.

Thanks.

No comments: